Carea in a nutshell

In Finland, a citizen’s municipality of domicile is responsible for arranging public social and health services. In special health care and in the special care of the mentally disabled, municipalities must belong to a federation of municipalities, which arranges these services together with the municipalities. The federation of municipalities is responsible for arranging emergency medical services and urgent care and for the care of patients referred to such care. The member municipalities of Kymenlaakso Social and Health Services, or Carea, are Hamina, Kotka, Kouvola, Miehikkälä, Pyhtää and Virolahti.

EU citizens have a right to receive services at the same principles. Moreover, Finland has separate agreements with some countries. These are discussed in section Patient fees.

Carea’s services are produced at the Kymenlaakso Central Hospital, at the Kymenlaakso Psychiatric Hospital, and in the units for social services. Kymenlaakso Social and Health Services also purchase services from the Helsinki University Central Hospital and from Hospital Orton.


Carea – Kymenlaakso Social and Health Services
Kotkantie 41
48210 Kotka, Finland

Exchange 05 220 51
Fax 020 633 5400
Fax, archive 020 633 5466

In case of an emergency, call the Emergency Response Centre on 112.

Emergency Care:
Kymenlaakso Central Hospital, Kotkantie 41, Kotka
020 633 1000

North Kymi Hospital, Kouvola
020 615 1601

Dentist on duty:
Monday-friday 16.00-21.00 and weekends and midweek holidays 10.00 to 21.00
Kymenlaakson Central Hospital
Kotkantie 41
48210 Kotka
020 633 1000



Patient fees

The municipality of residence of the user of medical services is responsible for the medical costs of a user living in Finland. The user of a service subject to the municipality of domicile must pay the customer fee, which is subsidised through tax funds, in accordance with valid legislation.

The customer fees levied by Kymenlaakso Social and Health Services are based on the act and decree concerning social and health care fees as well as on a decision by the Board of Kymenlaakso Social and Health Services

Patient fees (pdf) »

Those living in EU/EEA countries must prove their entitlement to immediate medical care. This can be proved by means of the European health insurance card or the E-form (with E111 being the most usual). However, with those living in the United Kingdom and in the Nordic countries, it is sufficient to present a passport or identity card. Those seeking non-immediate care must present the E112 form, or otherwise they are charged the actual costs.

Finland has an agreement with Québec, Canada, with the agreement compensating medical care for those working in Finland on an assignment, for students, and their family members during their temporary stay in Finland. The agreement signed between Finland and Australia compensates immediate medical care to those living in Finland on a temporary basis, but this does not apply to students. The customer fees for patients coming from these countries are the same as for those living in Finland permanently. The right is obtained by presenting a passport or identity card.

Persons coming from countries other than EU countries or countries with which Finland has signed an agreement must pay the actual costs for both immediate and non-immediate care.

Those coming from other countries and seeking non-immediate care must agree with the chief physician of the speciality in question on access to care and on the care arrangements. The costs of the care must be paid prior to access to care.

Foreigners, who have a municipality of residence in Finland, are charged the same fees as residents living in Finland permanently.